Understanding Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic Foods
Discover Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic Food List Effects And Suggested Intake According to Ayurveda
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian system of medicine that emphasizes the importance of a balanced lifestyle, including proper diet and nutrition. According to Ayurveda, every food can be classified into one of three categories: Sattvic, Rajasic, and Tamasic.
Each food category has unique properties and effects on the body and mind.
Let’s read more about What is sattvic rajasic Tamasic foods?
What Foods are Sattvic?
Sattvic foods are the most beneficial for the body and mind as they promote peace, clarity, and tranquillity. Sattvic foods are fresh, organic, and vegetarian, providing essential nutrients for the body to function correctly. Some examples of sattvic foods include:
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
- Whole grains such as brown rice, quinoa, and barley
- Legumes such as lentils, beans, and chickpeas
- Nuts and seeds such as almonds, cashews, and sesame seeds
- Herbal teas such as chamomile, peppermint, and ginger tea
- Organic dairy products such as vegan milk, and ghee (clarified butter)
- Sattvic foods are light, easy to digest and provide a high energy level to the body. They are ideal for individuals seeking a healthy and balanced lifestyle.
At Swadshakti, we serve authentic Sattvic food. Please visit if you’re from Mumbai or ever visit! Our restaurant is in Malad West.
What Foods are Rajasic?
Rajasic foods are considered to be stimulating and energizing. They can increase heart rate, respiration, and blood pressure, which makes them unsuitable for individuals with high blood pressure, anxiety, or insomnia. Some examples of Rajasic foods include:
- Spicy foods such as chilli peppers, garlic, and onions
- Fried foods such as French fries and fried chicken
- Stimulants such as coffee, tea, and chocolate
- Meat, fish, and poultry
- Fermented foods such as pickles and vinegar
- Foods high in salt or sugar
Rajasic foods are often consumed in small amounts and are best avoided in the evening. They can be useful for individuals who need to increase their physical or mental activity levels, but excessive consumption can lead to imbalances in the body and mind.
What Foods are Tamasic?
Tamasic foods are considered heavy, dull, and lacking energy. They are often difficult to digest and cause lethargy, mental confusion, and laziness. Some examples of Tamasic foods include:
- Processed and refined foods such as white bread, pasta, and sugar
- Stale or leftover food
- Meat that is not freshly prepared
- Alcohol and drugs
- Overly spicy or fried foods
- Artificial sweeteners and additives
Tamasic foods should be avoided as much as possible, as they can lead to imbalances in the body and mind, such as lethargy, depression, and weight gain. They are best replaced with fresh, sattvic foods that provide the body with energy and vitality.
Suggested Intake According to Ayurveda:
According to Ayurveda, a balanced diet should consist primarily of Sattvic foods, with Rajasic and Tamasic foods consumed in moderation. The following guidelines can help individuals follow a balanced Ayurvedic diet:
- Eat fresh, whole foods that are in season and organically grown.
- Consume various grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds.
- Avoid overly processed, refined foods or additives and preservatives.
- Cook foods using healthy methods such as steaming, or sautéing.
- Eat slowly and mindfully, focusing on the flavours and textures of each bite.
- Pay attention to the body's hunger and fullness signals and stop eating when satisfied.
- Avoid overeating or undereating, as both can lead to imbalances in the body and mind.
In conclusion, Ayurveda provides a valuable framework for understanding the impact of foods on your body and health. At Ayushakti Ayurved, we follow the lineage of authentic ayurveda practice, which has been carried out for 5000 years from Vaidya Jivika's vaidya of Lord Buddha.
Ayushakti's mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts on phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your well-being in these difficult times.
Book your consultation here - https://bit.ly/3XiG50D
For more information write to us at email@example.com
You may contact us on our toll-free numbers - 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global)
Author of the Blog: DR.RAJESH NASHINE
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd