What Foods to Avoid and What Foods to Eat to Control Gout?
Your body creates uric acid when it breaks down purines — substances discovered naturally in your body. Purine is also seen in many food items. Predominantly high purine foods are also high in proteins. So the most suitable diet for reversing Gout is to stop taking purine-contained foods.
High-Purine Foods Include
- Alcoholic beverages (all types)
- Some fish, seafood, and shellfish, including anchovies, sardines, herring, mussels, codfish, scallops, trout, and haddock
- Some meats, such as bacon, turkey, veal, venison, and organ meats like liver
- Vegetables that have high purine content include cauliflower, asparagus, spinach, and mushrooms
- Dried peas and beans
- Sugary drinks & food.
Moderate Purine Foods Include
- Meats, such as chicken, duck, beef, pork, and ham
- Crab, lobster, oysters, and shrimp
Low purine food include
- Fruits like banana, papaya, cherry, kiwi, mandarine
Wheat, deep-fried food items, maida, and fermented acidic food block metabolism and thus augment uric acid even if you avoid a high purine diet.
Somewhat you can take green mung and mung daal as it is lightweight, cooling, and stimulates metabolism.
What to eat more?
- Fruits: Apple, cherry, strawberry, mulberry, and Amla are very good. Vitamin C in these fruits helps reduce uric acid levels in the blood.
- Whole grains/millets: Red and white millets are more alkaline, helping reduce uric acid. Eat more of these grains.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, carrot, beetroot, squashes, green gourds, soft gourds, zucchini, pumpkin, celery, dandelion, Indian vegetables such as Ash gourd (lauki), ridge gourd & all other gourds, etc are excellent for reducing uric acid.
- Water: Drink 10-12 glasses of water daily. Water flushes out toxins and will help eliminate excess uric acid through urine.
- Coconut water and barley water are excellent. Drink daily.
To do :
- Regular exercise, especially walking and swimming, is very good.
- Practice Meditation and pranayama
- Suppressing natural urges
- Excessive exercises
- Roaming in hot climates
Ayushakti's mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts by phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your wellbeing in these difficult times.
Book your consultation here https://bit.ly/2Zgpimk
For more information write to us at [email protected]
Author of the Blog: Dr. Rajeshri Mehta
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd