How does PCOS affect your body? Why does PCOS make you gain weight?
In today's time, PCOS is the most common condition among women of reproductive age. Living with polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) is troublesome. Your body generates excessive “male hormone” androgens, resulting in inconsistent periods, acne, and hair in all the erroneous places. Plus, you’re struggling with weight gain.
Here are some common PCOS symptoms:
- Ovarian cysts
- Irregular periods
- Thinning hair
- Weight gain
Here’s what causes PCOS:
The precise cause for PCOS is still undiscovered. It’s mostly associated with an increase in the male hormone, which additionally prevents ovaries from generating hormones and egg production. However, research has revealed that PCOS runs in generations. Additional lifestyle conditions incorporate being overweight. Sometimes, diabetes also contributes to PCOS, if not handled correctly.
Now let us study How PCOS affects your body
PCOS is a mixture of metabolic, hormonal, and psychosocial conditions that can cause long-term therapeutic issues, stress, anxiety, and depression. Possessing greater-than-normal androgen levels can harm your fertility and other characteristics of your health.
- PCOS can cause weight gain or obesity in your body.
- It can affect your everyday activities because you don’t feel well; Physically, mentally, and emotionally.
- It can cause excess body hair on your face, chest, back, or abdomen, and that is caused by extended androgen levels.
- You can get dark-colored spots or patches on your neck, behind your neck, or under your breasts.
- You may face difficulty in getting pregnant. PCOS is one of the major reasons for infertility amongst women.
- PCOS can cause sleep apnea. This condition causes recurred pauses in breathing during the night, which hinders sleep.
Why does PCOS make you gain weight?
Nearly 85% of women with PCOS gain weight. When the body starts storing extra fats – especially in the abdominal area, it further increases your hazard for severe chronic disorders like diabetes, cardiovascular condition, and even endometrial cancer. Insulin resistance is the principal reason for weight gain in women with PCOS. Insulin resistance is when some cells in the human body do not react to the insulin generated by the pancreas.
In conclusion, the pancreas creates more extra insulin to sustain normal blood sugar levels. This commences to higher androgen generation and weight gain. This produces a vicious cycle wherein the insulin resistance rises, so do the symptoms and the weight gain. When there is a multiplication of insulin in the blood, it provokes the generation of the guy hormone androgen, which is linked with acne, surplus facial and body hair, and weight gain.
Ayushakti brings you some excellent home remedies for PCOS:
- Keep your body and mind tension-free. You can achieve this by practicing yoga and pranayamas daily. Surya Namaskar is an outstanding and all-around activity that will help burn stubborn, extra fat.
- Practice meditation and spend some quality time with your loved ones.
- Eat healthy food like Indian gooseberry, bottle gourd, and to maintain your insulin level take fenugreek leaves and basil leaves(popularly known as tulsi).
- Discontinue eating fried food and sweets completely. Eat an apple when you have a craving for sweets.
- Practice eating small meals rather than large and irregular ones and never miss your breakfast.
- A diet rich in fiber can help enhance your digestion. Lentils, beans, broccoli, sprouts, pears, and avocados are all rich sources of fiber.
- Exercise regularly. Regular exercise for at least 30-45 mins is essential for managing a healthy weight.
- Stay adequately hydrated by drinking 2.5 – 3 liters of water daily.
- Enhance the intake of fruit & vegetables.
Here's a proven efficacious home remedy to relieve PCOD/PCOS -
- Liquorice (yashtimadhu) 1 tsp
- Cumin (jeera) 1 tsp
- Dill seed (ajwain) ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) 1 pinch
- Black salt ½ tsp
- Fennel (sauf) ½ tsp
- Saraca Indica (Ashok) ½ tsp
Mix well in half a glass of water and drink 3 times a day.
Ayushakti’s mission is to help people in every possible way. Even these pandemic times cannot stop us; you can consult our experts over phone or video call. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your wellbeing in these difficult times. Book your consultation here https://bit.ly/31YnP1b
Stay Home | Stay Healthy
For more information write to us at email@example.com
Author of the Blog: Dr. Deepali Shastri
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd