The Ultimate Guide to Relieving Sciatica Pain Naturally
4 min 41 sec reading time
Sciatica is a painful condition affecting the sciatic nerve, the longest nerve in the body.
The sciatic nerve runs from the lower back down through the legs and feet, and when it becomes irritated or compressed, it can cause a range of symptoms that can be debilitating for the sufferer.
From an Ayurvedic perspective, Sciatica is called Gridhrasi, which translates to "vulture's claws" in Sanskrit.
This name reflects the sharp, intense pain that can be felt in the lower back, buttocks, and legs, which can feel like the claws of a vulture digging into the body.
Ayurveda explains Sciatica as, Due to improper lifestyle and dietary habits, Aam is formed, and Vata gets vitiated along with it.
This vitiated Vata carries the Aam towards the lower back region, and the Aam gets lodged in the Mansa and Asthi tissues. It leads to degeneration in the vertebrae and contraction of piriform and psoas muscles.
This leads to the compression and dysfunctioning of the Majja tissue (sciatic nerve) in that area.
Symptoms of Sciatica:
The most common symptom of Sciatica is pain, which can be felt in the lower back, buttocks, legs, and feet. The pain can range from mild to severe and may be accompanied by other symptoms such as:
- Numbness or tingling in the affected area
- Weakness in the affected leg or foot
- Difficulty moving the leg or foot
- Shooting pain down the leg when standing or sitting for long periods
- Pain that worsens with movement, coughing, or sneezing
What causes Sciatica?
Sciatica is typically caused by compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve, which can occur for several reasons, including:
- Herniated or bulging discs in the spine
- Spinal stenosis (narrowing of the spinal canal)
- Degenerative disc disease
- Piriformis syndrome (when the piriformis muscle in the buttocks compresses the sciatic nerve)
- Trauma or injury to the lower back or pelvis
- Obesity or a sedentary lifestyle
- Poor posture or spinal alignment
Types of Sciatica:
Sciatica is a condition that causes pain and discomfort along the sciatic nerve, which is the longest nerve in the body. The sciatic nerve runs from the lower back down to the legs and feet. There are different types of Sciatica, including:
Acute Sciatica: This type of Sciatica is sudden and severe, often caused by a herniated disc, spinal stenosis, or a muscle strain.
Chronic Sciatica: This type of Sciatica is long-lasting and often caused by a degenerative disc disease or a spinal condition.
Neurogenic Sciatica: This type of Sciatica is caused by compression or damage to the nerve roots that make up the sciatic nerve.
Referred Sciatica: This type of Sciatica is caused by a problem in another part of the body, such as the pelvis or hips, but the pain is felt in the sciatic nerve.
Piriformis syndrome: This type of Sciatica is caused by the compression or irritation of the sciatic nerve by the piriformis muscle located in the buttocks.
It is important to Consult an Ayurvedic expert if you experience Sciatica, as it can lead to further complications if left untreated.
Book an appointment with Ayushakti Ayurved.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Sciatica:
In Ayurveda, Sciatica is believed to be caused by an imbalance of the Vata dosha, which governs movement and nerve impulses in the body.
Therefore, Ayurvedic treatment for Sciatica focuses on balancing the Vata dosha through a combination of diet, lifestyle changes, and herbal remedies.
Ayurvedic Treatment Fundamental for Sciatica:
- Bring back Vata to Normal path ( Reduce excess Vata)
- Eliminate Aam ( Release muscular contraction)
- Improve Metabolism ( Increase blood circulation)
- Clean Channels ( Detox)
- Reduce Pain & Nerve Stretching (Pacify Vata and Nerve Rasayana)
Detox Therapy – Panchkarma for Effective Relief from Sciatica Pain
Detox is the Ayurvedic cleansing process for body, mind, and emotions that helps you create holistic health and well-being.
Digestive impurities such as mucus and metabolic toxins pile up in the veins, intestine, liver, and joints. They circulate throughout the entire body and block the system. Continuous build-up of these impurities can cause physical and mental disorders and diseases.
A Detox helps to clean out toxins. Marma points help to remove blockages and improve circulation.
Ayushakti's detoxification Panchkarma treatments focus on relieving the root cause of any chronic problem by cleansing, repairing, and rejuvenating your body's deeper tissues and cells. Click here to check out our Panchkarma Detoxification Plan.
According to Ayurveda, certain foods can aggravate the Vata dosha and worsen sciatica symptoms.
These include dry, light, and cold foods such as chips, crackers, and carbonated drinks.
Instead, Ayurvedic practitioners recommend a warm, nourishing diet of cooked vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats like ghee or coconut oil.
Ayurveda also emphasizes the importance of lifestyle changes to support healing and balance in the body.
This may include practicing yoga or gentle stretching exercises to improve flexibility and reduce muscle tension. Other recommendations may include the following:
- Regular exercise.
- Practicing stress management techniques like meditation or deep breathing.
- Avoiding prolonged periods of sitting or standing.
Ayurvedic practitioners may also recommend certain herbal remedies to help alleviate sciatica symptoms. These may include:
- Dashmoolarishtam is a traditional Ayurvedic tonic believed to help reduce inflammation and pain.
- Triphala is a blend of three fruits often used to support digestive health and promote overall wellness.
- Guggulu: a resin believed to have anti-inflammatory and analgesic properties, making it helpful for reducing pain and inflammation in the body.
Also Read: Get Natural Relief: 9 Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Sciatica Pain
Ayushakti Herbal Remedies and Medicines
Proven and effective herbal remedies from Ayushakti relieve joint pain, swelling, arthritis, Sciatica, spondylitis, and osteoporosis.
To relieve back pain, neck pain, joint pain, frozen shoulder, Sciatica, muscular pain, stiffness pain, and swelling.
Dosage: One tablet 3 times a day for minor and recent pain. For chronic and severe pain: 2 tablets twice a day for 3 to 6 months.
Calcium supplement for your bones, for Vata reduction. These tablets effectively reduce bone degeneration and cracking of the joints. Relieves osteoarthritis and osteoporosis.
- For stiffness and cracking in joints: 1 tablet twice daily to prevent bone degeneration and relieve stiffness and pain.
- For chronic pain, stiffness, osteoporosis, and back pain: 2 tabs twice daily.
- For those aged over 60: 2 tablets twice daily to keep your joints nourished and free from pain and stiffness.
This cream contains Mahanarayan Oil combined with powerful pain-relieving herbs and other oils, proven to provide faster and 3 times longer-lasting relief than any other cream.
- Apply 4 times a day.
- For minor pain, continue for a week.
- For chronic pain, continue for two months.
- After this, apply it whenever necessary.
If you are experiencing symptoms of Sciatica, seeking professional medical advice to determine the underlying cause and develop a treatment plan appropriate for your needs is important.
While Ayurvedic remedies may help manage sciatica symptoms, they should always be used in conjunction with traditional medical treatments and under the guidance of a qualified healthcare practitioner.
Ayushakti's mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts on phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your well-being in these difficult times.
Book your consultation here - https://bit.ly/3XiG50D
For more information write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may contact us on our toll-free numbers - 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global)
Author of the Blog: DR. RAM KONDUSKAR
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd