Visualize the world without the effective functioning of the eyes; meaningless, isn’t it? Excess use of phone, laptop and tv screens screams for some extra care of our lovely eyesights. In the summer season, eyes are mostly exposed to heat, sun, and pollution, which may moreover lead to weaker vision, conjunctivitis, premature macular degeneration, and eyesight problems. While one of the most reliable ways to take care of your eyes is to rinse them with water, it is important to load up on healthful foods in order to assure a healthy pair of eyes.
Between all sense organs, the eye has been given superior value due to its function. One can preserve eyes from environmental pollution, sensitivity, early eyesight loss, blurred eyesight, dryness of eyes, redness, watery eyes, through the following ten 10 measures:
1. Consuming Triphala kashaya or triphala churna/ powder with honey or ghee is advantageous for the eyes.
2. Use of Triphala churna with ghee in pittaja eye disorders, with sesame oil in vataja eye conditions, and with honey in kaphaja eye diseases is supported.
3. Washing eyes regularly with Triphala kashaya (decoction of Triphala) from the start will finish all eye disorders and shield eyes.
4. Splashing water in the eyes with a mouth full of water daily in the morning will prevent eye complications.
5. Massaging eyes with damp palms quickly after having food will preserve eyesight from damaging effects.
6. One should neither influence natural urges forcibly nor suppress them like controlling tears, vomiting, etc, as it may start to grave full eye conditions.
7. Pouring lukewarm water over the body provides energy, but doing the same over the head can result in loss of strength of hair and eyes.
8. It is beneficial to use Anjana also known as Collyrium every day as a routine regimen to shield the eyes.
9. One should frequently drink Triphala, consume ghee, cereal, grain, aged rice, pomegranate, use of shatavari, fresh and green gram, and practice massaging the foot with ayurvedic oils to protect vision.
10. One should desist from overeating, violence, anxiety, anger, resting in the daytime, or awakening at night and consuming food because it corrupts Vata dosha.
Ayurveda is recognized to consider food just as robust as medicine. Likewise, it recommends some foods that may support strengthening your eye health.
Leafy Greens Vegetables
Leafy green vegetables are excellent in both lutein and zeaxanthin and are also a great source of eye-friendly vitamin C. The best green leafy vegetables include spinach, kale, collards, etc.
There are three chief elements in eggs that can enhance your vision: zinc, lutein, and zeaxanthin. It may shield against night blindness and dry eyes, improve eye health and function.
Citrus Fruits and Berries
Lemons, berries, oranges, grapefruits are fruits that are great in vitamin C, which may lessen the chance of cataracts and macular degeneration.
Nuts are also loaded with omega-3 fatty acids. Nuts also comprise a great level of vitamin E, which can guard the eye against age-related degeneration. Nuts like walnuts, almonds, and pistachios are powerful in boosting your eye health.
Black-eyed peas, kidney beans, peanuts, and lentils are excellent sources of bioflavonoids and zinc and they can help preserve the retina and reduce the risk for growing macular degeneration and cataracts.
Your retinas are accountable for coordinating and transmitting visual data to your brain, empowering you to see. For your retinas to work perfectly, they need two varieties of omega-3 fatty acids: DHA and EPA. Both of these can be obtained in fish and other types of seafood.
Here are a few most harmful foods for your eyes:
- Bread and pasta
- Processed meats
- Fried foods
- Hydrogenated oils and trans fats
- Ready-to-eat foods
- Sugary drinks
- Excess caffeine
Other Tips for Promoting Your Eye Health:
- Quit smoking
- Wear sunglasses
- Use safety eyewear
- Take a break from the computer screen
- Visit your eye doctor regularly
- Eat a lot of carrots, seeds, sweet potatoes and maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Wash your hands before wearing contact lenses
- Sipping loads of water can prevent dehydration, which may lessen the signs of dry eyes.
Here are some of the vital home treatments as recommended by Ayurveda in order to maintain your eyes healthy.
- Always moisten your eyes with cool water in the morning. This cleans off the dried mucus and dust collected in the eyes and arouses the glands that grease the eyes.
- Put a single drop of unadulterated castor oil into your eyes at night. Make sure the oil does not contain any chemicals.
- If you encounter redness, burning, or even blistering in the eyes, brew a tablespoon of turmeric in 2 cups of water. Lessen it to one cup and let it cool down. Strain 4 to 5 times with muslin fabric. This decoction can then be applied as an eye drop. Use it at least 4 to 5 times a day.
- Liquids made of coriander seeds or fennel seeds can be utilized as cold eye rinses.
- If there is only a painful sensation in the eyes, a cold compress will do wonders. In fact, immediate cold application of some cream of cow’s milk or fresh yogurt will also help relax the eyes. Make sure the application is cool.
- Dodge using any artificial beauty commodities around the eyes. Try applying an ayurvedic Kajal or remedial eyeliner every day to clean and nourish the eyes.
- Daily head massage is excellent for enhancing the circulation around the area and easing the muscles essential for preserving optical acuity and arousing the tear glands. You may use coconut oil or any medicated variations of it.
- Rub the palms of your hands collectively swiftly for 15 seconds and cup your hands over your eyes. Do not put pressure on the eyeballs.
- Apply a cotton pad drenched in great quality concentrated rose water across the eyes for 15 minutes once daily to relax and clean the eyes.
- Cut aloe vera body into a cube large enough to hold with your finger conveniently and refrigerate them individually. When the eyes feel exhausted, take one cube from the freezer and rub the face and area around the eyes with it once every day preferably in the evening.
- Staring into the flame of a ghee lamp is a conventional Ayurvedic eye care practice followed for ages to restore and soothe the eyes.
Try Triphala eye wash:
This is a very popular and simple eye ritual to sustain healthy eyes.
- Make a Triphala tea in purified water boiling 1 tablespoon of powder in 250 ml water.
- Strain this liquid once it cools down.
- Use cotton pads and apply this solution to both eyes for 5-10 minutes.
The astringent impact of the Triphala creates some burning feeling but only initially. Once the eyes get adapted to it, it appears cool and relaxed. This is a great exercise to do once in the evening and is good for dry eyes, red eyes, and irritated eyes.
Ayushakti’s mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts by phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your wellbeing in these difficult times. Book your consultation here https://bit.ly/31YnP1b
For more information write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Author of the Blog: Dr. Rajeshri Mehta
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd