In the season of heavy rains and frequent downpour, people come across a variety of troubles. The most common amongst these troubles is the common cold and cough that affects a significant number of the population.
Following are some guidelines on how to manage cold and cough with the help of Ayurveda:
General Symptoms of Cough and Cold
- Runny Nose
- Continuous sneezing
- Sore throat
- Muscle pain/fatigue
- Body Pain
- Breathing difficulty
One of many of the above symptoms is experienced by individuals suffering from a cold.
Causes of Cough and Cold
- A continuous change of surroundings/constant exposure to cold and chilly winds can be contributors
- A primary cause is a digestive fire (Agni) being affected with cold or moist conditions
- A reduced agni can affect the body’s overall immunity
- Lowered immunity leads to an increase in the toxin production
- These amas can go and clog the micro-channels in the body leading to the formation of phlegm or mucus
- It is this phlegm/mucus blocks the respiratory channel functions. Finally, you experience soar throat, allergic cough, sneezing, blocked nose, breathing difficulty etc.
Along with the above-mentioned causes, there can be other factors as well that lead to cold and cough in individuals. For example, an allergy to one’s surroundings can also be the cause of a cold. Eating or drinking food that is too cold or hot can also cause cold and cough in the individual. Habits and lifestyle choices such as sleeping in the afternoon after a heavy meal or staying up late at night can also contribute to developing a cold. There goes a quote which says that “Your biography is your biology” and the Ayurvedic philosophy stands by it. In the end, what we eat and do throughout the day has a large impact on our health.
Watch this very informative video on how ayurvedic herbs can help in treating cold and cough naturally
Treating Cold and Cough Ayurveda way
- Keep body (throat, feet, chest, head) warm
- Gargle with warm salty & turmeric water for a sore throat
- Avoid milk, milk products and fruits till the symptoms completely go away
- Eat light foods like soups, boiled or steamed vegetables, dal khichadi (rice and mung dal) etc
- Drink spiced/Herbal Teas
How to make herbal tea to improve your immune system and prevent viral fever?
- Fresh Basil leaves 20
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch long
- Black peppercorns crushed – 3
- Fresh ginger crushed – 2 inches long
- Jaggery (optional) – as a sweetener
- Water 4 cups
- Boil the ingredients in water and make it 2 cups. Filter and drink warm 3-4 times a day.
Ayushakti’s mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts on phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your wellbeing in these difficult times. Book your consultation here https://bit.ly/3hl3REH
Stay Home | Stay Healthy
For more information write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Author of the Blog: Dr. Deepali Shastri
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd