Manage Hyperthyroidism Symptoms With Home Remedies
Hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid) occurs when your thyroid gland produces too much of the hormone thyroxin. Hyperthyroidism can accelerate your body's metabolism, causing unintentional weight loss and a rapid or irregular heartbeat.
Thyroid Gland is the backbone of the endocrine system. If your thyroid gets disturbed or imbalance all your body functions get hampered- metabolism, energy levels, body temperature, fertility, weight gain/loss, periods, hair health, mood (mental health) and heart rate etc.
The Ayurvedic expert mentioned a few ways in which a thyroid disorder can affect your body.
They are as follows:
- Metabolism and Energy levels– The main function of the thyroid gland is metabolism. It helps you digest the food you eat, absorb necessary nutrients from it and also provides you energy by metabolising your food.
Ginger is one of the most precious herb. In ancient Ayurveda it is called as Vishwa Beshaja (World Remedy). Ginger increases metabolism, focus and awareness and gives mental equilibrium. Hot ginger tea can help you calm your mind. Ginger also Increases metabolism, focus and awareness and gives mental equilibrium.
- Boil 1 liter of water
- Add fresh ginger or 1 tablespoon of dry ginger powder
- It is best to boil it for 5-10 minutes, then consume it all day
- Hair growth– The thyroid gland helps in the absorption of essential nutrients like iron, calcium, etc that are responsible for hair growth.
For Healthier Hair
- Fresh coconut grated ¼ cup
- Almonds, soaked and peeled 4 nos.
- Sesame Seeds 1 tbsp.
- Water 1.2 cup
Grind it in a mixer. Filter well. Massage it sparingly over the scalp. Keep it overnight and wash it off.
- Weight– Thyroid imbalance can either cause excessive weight loss or weight gain.
Detox water to reduce excess weight
- 1 tsp - cumin seeds powder
- 1 tsp - coriander seeds powder
- 1 pinch - asafoetida
- 1/2 - tsp carrom seeds powder
- 1/4 - tsp black salt
Mix all the ingredients well and boil it in half a glass of water. Drink this detox water 2/3 times a day
- Menstrual cycle– Irregular periods could be due to thyroid imbalance.
- 1tsp - Cumin powder
- ¼ tsp - Dill seeds
- 1 tsp - Jaggery
- Soak overnight in one cup of water & drink in the morning.
- Fertility– If you have not been successful getting pregnant in spite of consistent efforts, thyroid might be the cause. Balancing thyroid can help you conceive.
- Take 1 tsp cow’s ghee with a cup of milk daily.
- Take 3 fresh gooseberries daily.
- Eat cooked black lentils 20gms per day.
- Mental health (mood)— Imbalance in thyroid levels can make you feel stressed, anxious and depressed by increasing the amount of cortisol in your body.
- Ashwagandha herb directly opposes the reactions of stress and anxiety by reducing the amount of Cortisol released by the adrenal glands. It encourages restful sleep, again helping the body to recover from the effects of stress, anxiety and depression.
- Ashwagandha and Brahmi ½ to ⅓ tspn each in a warm water.
Few other techniques you can try to get relief from hyperthyroidism symptoms:
- Locate the connecting point between your index finger and thumb, and gently press it 20-50 times on both your hands. Practice this daily in the morning.
- Practice 2 pranayama (yoga postures) regularly– Ujjayi pranayama and Anulom Vilom pranayama
- Sound sleep helps in optimum liver detox which helps in metabolising thyroid hormones
The thyroid is widespread and readily controlled with proper diet and lifestyle. Finding a solution that eliminates the root cause and provides the guidance necessary to get an accurate diagnosis and effective treatment plan is important.
Ayushakti's mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts by phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your well-being in these difficult times. Book your consultation here - BOOK NOW
For more information write to us at email@example.com
You may contact us on our toll-free numbers - 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global)
Author of the Blog: Dr.Ronak Naik
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram