Complete Guide to Staying Healthy During Cold and Flu Season
Common cold includes chest cold and head cold, while viruses prompt seasonal cold. Use Ayushakti's Ayurveda treatments and remedies to reduce symptoms like painful throat, runny nose, blockage, and cough. Flu symptoms are alike but include temperature, headache, and muscle soreness.
Flu or Cold Symptoms?
When you wake up sneezing, choking, coughing and having body pain, how do you know if it is cold symptoms or the flu?
It's essential to know the difference between flu and cold signs.
A cold is a more moderate respiratory sickness than the flu. While cold signs can make you feel sick for a few days, flu symptoms can make you feel considerably sick for a few days to weeks. The flu can also result in severe problems such as pneumonia or hospitalisation.
How to recognize the difference between cold and flu?
Viruses cause colds and the flu. Both are respiratory diseases. The easiest way to tell the difference is by keeping an eye on your symptoms.
If you have a cold, you'll seemingly have symptoms as below:
- Runny or closed nose
- Irritated throat
- Headache or body pains
- Moderate tiredness
Flu symptoms can carry:
- Subtle, hacking cough
- Medium to high fever, although not everyone with the flu will encompass a temperature
- Painful throat
- Shivering chills
- Stiff muscle or body pains
- Close and runny nose
- Critical fatigue that may last for a couple of weeks
- Vomiting and nausea, as well as diarrhoea (especially in children)
How long do cold symptoms last?
Cold symptoms normally last for about a week. During the first 3 days that you have cold symptoms, you are infectious. This means you can transfer the cold to others, so stay home and get some much-needed relaxation. If cold symptoms do not seem to be recovering after a week, you may have a bacterial virus, which means you may need medicines. Sometimes you may overlook cold indications for allergic rhinitis (hay fever) or sinus contamination. If cold indications begin immediately and progress after a week, it is normally a cold, not an allergy. If your cold symptoms do not appear to be getting normal after a week, check with your Ayushakti doctor to get clarity if you have developed an allergy or sinusitis.
Powerful home remedy for the common cold:
- Fresh ginger crushed - 1/2 tsp
- Basil leaves crushed -12 Nos.
- Black pepper crushed - 3 nos.
- Crushed cardamom - 3 nos.
- Cinnamon - ½ inch
- water - 1 & 1/4 cup
- Honey - 1 table sp.
- Mint leaves crushed- 5 nos.
1. Keep the water boiling. When it begins to boil, add all the ingredients except honey.
2. Boil it for one minute, keep it covered.
3. Switch off the fire and cover the vessel with the lid for 5 minutes.
5. Add honey.
Carom seeds(Ajwain) - 2 tsp
1. Roast Carom seeds(Ajwain) on a griddle.
2. Inhale the fumes.
3. When the fumes do not have the smell of Carom seeds (Ajwain seeds), take fresh seeds to roast.
4. Inhale in this way Carom seeds(Ajwain) fumes for 5 minutes.
Home remedies for flu and fever:
Total fasting on warm ginger water.
Method to make Ginger water :
- water - 5 glass
- Ginger powder-1 tbsp
- Boil and filter.
- Ginger powder - 1/4 tsp.
- Cumin seed powder - 1 tsp.
- Coriander seed powder - 1 tsp.
- Rose petals - 20 nos.
- Black raisin - 10 nos.
Soak this in 1/2 glass of water, crush and drink after every 2 hours.
After the fever is gone, drink mung soup.
Emergency warning symptoms:
People should seek immediate medical assistance if they see any emergency warning signs.
- Warning flags in children involve:
- Speedy breathing or trouble in breathing
- Blue-grey lips or face
- Pain in chest
- Fever beyond 104°F
Warning signs in adults include:
- Shortness of breathing or trouble in breathing
- Blue-grey skin color
- Steadfast chest or abdomen ache or tension
- A reduction of urination
- Critical muscle pain or faintness
- Illness or a cough that progresses then worsens
Ayushakti's proven diet to Fight Cold and Flu:
Completely Avoid :
- Milk & dairy products: Dodge drinking milk and consuming dairy products as it contributes to extreme mucus in the body and extends congestion.
- Caffein: It makes your immune system more vulnerable and dehydrates your body, which makes you feel even more unwell.
- Cold drinks & alcohol: It wears out your white blood cells and delays down your healing process.
- Oily food: It's high in fat, originates more mucus, and makes your immune system vulnerable.
Foods to eat:
- Spinach: It is stuffed with wholesome digestion-regulating fiber and contains vitamin C which is great when having a cold and flu.
- Garlic: It is a great antioxidant with antimicrobial, antiviral & antibiotic properties offering decongestant & expectorant outcomes.
- Leafy vegetables: Green leafy vegetables are crowded with vitamins, minerals, and fibers. It is also stuffed with good vitamins like A, C, and K. They are also beneficial for their antibacterial properties.
PSpecial advice and forethoughts: Sip lukewarm water during cough and cold. Deep-fried food and fast food should be strictly avoided. Stay away from cold drinks. Evade icy drinks.
Diet and lifestyle to follow during cold and flu:
- Avoid smoking.
- Sip lukewarm liquids throughout the day.
- Practice yoga on a daily basis.
- Eat a well-balanced diet.
- Sleep, meditate and get some rest.
- Sip warm tea made of basil (Tulsi) leaves, raw ginger, and mint leaves.
Get back to feeling better in no time with these 5 intellectual and easy hacks for cold and flu:
Garlic is one of the most common home remedies for colds. Many experiences have a home remedy for the cold using garlic chicken soup with lots of garlic, a beverage made with fresh crushed garlic, eating roasted garlic, or just eating raw garlic.
It is discovered that eating ginger can reduce the symptoms of nausea and vomiting. It is also a prominent Ayurvedic medicine for cold and flu.
Honey is a famous home treatment for cold and flu in many practices. Honey has different antimicrobial and antibacterial properties. Sipping honey and lemon in tea can soothe irritated throat pain. The study suggests that honey is a powerful cough suppressant, too.
- Warm turmeric milk
Turmeric is recognized to hold extraordinary qualities and is extremely suggested for regular consumption because of its many advantages. It has great anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and anti-bacterial properties. Sipping a glassful of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric stirred into it every day helps combat cough, cold, and chest congestion.
- Vitamin C
Vitamin C plays an essential role in your body and has numerous health benefits. Along with berries, limes, blackcurrants, oranges, grapefruits, leafy greens, sprouts, and other fruits and vegetables, lemons are a great source of vitamin C. Combining fresh lemon juice with warm tea with honey may lessen mucus when you're unwell. Sipping hot lemonade may also benefit.
Other home remedies to be considered for cold and flu:
- Gargling lukewarm saltwater.
- Blow your nose often.
- Sip warm liquids.
- Drink lots of fluids.
- Try a steamy shower.
- Sleep, meditate and get some rest.
- Try steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil.
Factors that can increase your possibilities of getting a cold and flu:
Babies and young children are at the highest risk of cold and flu, primarily if they spend more time in an unhealthy environment.
- Weakened immune system
Having a chronic sickness or otherwise weakened immune system raises your risk of getting a cold and flu.
- Time of year
Both kids and grown-ups are more prone to get colds in fall and winter, but you can get a cold anytime.
You're more likely to catch a cold and to have more severe colds if you smoke or are nearby secondhand smoke.
If you're near crowds, such as at school or on an airplane, you're prone to be exposed to germs that cause colds.
Ayushakti's mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts by phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your wellbeing in these difficult times.
Book your consultation here https://bit.ly/2Zgpimk
For more information write to us at [email protected]
Author of the Blog: Dr. Rajeshri Mehta
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd