Jaundice is a widespread liver disease; it is a yellow discolouration of the skin, mucous membranes, and the Sclera of the eyes(white part of the eye) caused by increased bilirubin in the blood. Bilirubin is a waste material left out by body cells after they digest food and water. When this waste material ascends past the average level in the blood, it disrupts all body functions and compromises the well-being and health of the patient.
What is Jaundice?
In Ayurveda, Jaundice is known as “Kamala”. Ayurveda considers the malformation of a subtype of Pitta (Ranjak Pitta) docile for Jaundice. Jaundice can develop either from anemia, or on its own. When it arises from anemia, it is caused by aggravated Pitta (from Pitta-increasing foods and lifestyle). The excessed Pitta then burns up the blood and muscles, producing Jaundice in the alimentary tract. The excessed dosha then travels through the transportation channels (srotas) and produces Jaundice in the different tissues.
Symptoms Of Jaundice
- Deep yellow eyes, urine, skin, nails, mouth, and feces
- The greenish-brown in complexion and weakness of the sense organs
When Vata and Pitta are excessed, there are symptoms of:
- Greenish-bluish-yellow complexion with dizziness
- No sexual desire
- Mild fever
- Physical weakness
- Poor digestion
Jaundice can occur simply from ignoring an aggravated Pitta condition. This leads to Jaundice with edema and is hard to cure. Edema is the major secondary complication of anemia and Jaundice.
Ayurveda offers a powerfully effective treatment for Jaundice that treats the illness alongside its root cause and overall health. It is a generally pursued stream of treatment as it guarantees the best outcomes with practically no side effects.
Types of Jaundice
There are four types of Jaundice:
1. Neonatal or Physiological Jaundice(jaundice in infants)
Neonatal jaundice is a very common condition, particularly in newborns, born before 38 weeks’ (premature delivery) and in a few breast-fed babies. Neonatal jaundice is common because a baby’s liver isn’t that much developed to get rid of bilirubin in the circulatory system. In some babies, an underlying disease might be the reason for Neonatal jaundice. To get rid of this disease our liver needs to do proper functioning
2. Pre-Hepatic or hemolytic Jaundice
In hemolytic Jaundice is caused by increase in the breakdown and obliteration of the red platelets (hemolysis), overpowering the liver’s capacity to eliminate the increased levels of bilirubin from the blood adequately.
3.Hepatic or Hepatocellular Jaundice
Hepatocellular jaundice occurs as an impact of liver infection or injury. Hepatocellular jaundice happens because of hemolysis, or a sped up breakdown of red platelets, prompting development in the creation of bilirubin.
4. Obstructive or Post-hepatic or Cholestatic Jaundice
Obstructive Jaundice occurs because of a deterrent in the bile channel. Obstructive Jaundice fights bilirubin from leaving the liver.
Causes Of Jaundice
Any of these issues in the liver can cause jaundice:
- Any issue in the proper processing of the bilirubin can lead to Jaundice.
- Jaundice happens when there’s an excess of bilirubin, a yellow-orange substance in your blood.
- Hepatitis – Mostly, this disease is caused by a virus. It tends to be acute or chronic. Drugs or Autoimmune Disorders can be the reason for hepatitis. If it takes additional time, it can harm the liver and lead to jaundice.
- Alcohol-related liver Disorder can harm your liver.
- Obstructed Bile Ducts – These are weakened ducts that transports a liquid called bile from the liver and gallbladder to the small digestive system. Inconsistently, they get impeded by gallstones, disease, or uncommon liver problems. If they do, you could have jaundice.
- Certain Prescriptions – Medications like acetaminophen, penicillin, contraception pills, and steroids have been connected to liver disorders.
Ayurvedic treatment for jaundice
1. Nidana Parivarjana (keep away from the causative factors)
This therapy targets keeping an individual liberated from disease by staying away from the causative factors of the disease and it is an important part of Ayurvedic therapy in all diseases.
The two-overlap advantages of nidana parivarjana are:
- a) stopping infection movement and
- b) counteraction of relapse.
In view of the nidana (reason for) jaundice, preventive estimates like trying not to eat at places with unhygienic food and water, utilizing clean towels and great cleanliness propensities should be practiced.
- The course of virechana assists in getting rid of the overabundance pitta from the body. Bitter purgatives like vibhandi (senna), ghrit kumari (aloe) or amlaparni (rhubarb) are particularly suggested in liver diseases like jaundice. They clean the liver, decongest bile and eliminate any deterrents in the entry from which the bile streams.
- Virechana is advantageous in individuals with kapha dosha as they have elevated degrees of bile in their body.
- Virechana is not generally suggested in individuals with vata dosha as it debilitates the stomach related fire. It is also unadvisable in pregnant, old or feeble people and those with a prolapsed stomach or uterus.
- Eraṇḍa taila (castor oil) might be utilized in the virechana cycle to treat jaundice.
- Medications for pachana (absorption), deepana (increase in appetite), snehana (lubrication), and pittashamaka (mollifying pitta) are given as shamana chikitsa.
Modern medications used to treat liver disorders might foster serious side effects. However, the herbs and remedies utilized in Ayurveda assist with treating every type of jaundice without bringing on any unfriendly impacts on your body.
At Ayushakti, We believe in, “We don’t just Suppress symptoms, We eliminate the root cause to transform your health!” by transforming your health through 3 POWERFUL PROVEN STEPS
Step 1: REMOVE
Eliminate blockages, inflammation and remove toxins from the gut and intracellular cells through the right type of detox so that proper blood supply reaches the damaged organs and intracellular toxins are cleared.
Step 2: RESTORE
Repair & restore the normal functioning of all the organs and especially the ones that are affected by the illness through the usage of powerful home remedies, diet, lifestyle changes, and marma pressure points.
Step 3: RENEW
Rebuild & renew in step by step manner using herbal formulas and therapies on damaged or weak tissues, thus creating vibrant youthful health and long-lasting relief from chronic health problems.
Ayushakti’s mission is to help people in every possible way. You can consult our experts by phone or video. We will suggest diet & home remedies for maintaining your well-being in these difficult times. Book your consultation here – BOOK NOW
For more information write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may contact us on our toll-free numbers – 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global)
Author of the Blog: Dr.Ronak Naik
Expert Review By: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd.