Let’s raise awareness about pneumonia, its prevention, and treatment. Pneumonia remains a major global health concern, particularly for newborns who are more vulnerable to respiratory infections.
In this blog post, we will explore how Ayurveda can help protect newborns from pneumonia. We will discuss preventive measures, a vegan soup recipe for pneumonia, and ayurvedic home remedies.
According to Ayurveda, an imbalance in the three doshas (Vata, Pitta, and Kapha) can contribute to the development of diseases like pneumonia. Imbalances in the Kapha dosha, which governs the respiratory system, can make newborns more susceptible to respiratory infections. Ayurvedic practices aim to restore the balance of the doshas to support overall health. By addressing these underlying imbalances, Ayurveda aims to strengthen the immune system and promote overall health.
Ayushakti, with its holistic approach to health and well-being, offers valuable insights into preventing and managing pneumonia. Book Your Appointment with Ayushakti Ayurved today!
3 Effective Home Remedies for Pneumonia
Ayurveda offers several effective home remedies to alleviate symptoms and promote healing in cases of pneumonia. Here are a few Ayurvedic remedies:
1. Tulsi (Holy Basil) Tea: Tulsi leaves have antimicrobial properties and help relieve respiratory congestion. Boil a few leaves in water, strain, and drink this tea two to three times a day.
2. Turmeric Milk: Turmeric contains a compound called curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties. Mix half a teaspoon of turmeric powder in a glass of warm milk and drink it before bedtime.
3. Herbal Steam Inhalation: Boil water in a pot, add a few drops of eucalyptus oil or tulsi leaves, and inhale the steam. This helps clear congestion and ease breathing.
Vegan Soup Recipe for Pneumonia
In Ayurveda, food is considered medicine. Including specific ingredients in your diet can help prevent and manage pneumonia. Here’s a simple vegan soup recipe that incorporates Ayurvedic principles:
- 1 cup of chopped vegetables (carrots, bell peppers broccoli etc.)
- ½ cup of corn
- 1 cup of lentils mung beans
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of grated garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
To prepare soup, follow these steps:
- In a large pot, add 4 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the chopped vegetables (carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, etc.) and corn to the pot.
- Rinse the lentils and mung beans thoroughly and add them to the pot as well.
- In a small skillet, heat a teaspoon of ghee over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds to the skillet and toast them for about a minute or until they become fragrant. Stir them constantly to prevent burning.
- Once the cumin seeds are toasted, add the grated ginger and grated garlic to the skillet. Cook them for about 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
- Sprinkle the turmeric powder over the spices in the skillet and mix well. Allow the spices to cook for another 30 seconds to release their flavour.
- Carefully, add the chopped boiled vegetables and lentils to the skillet and stir well.
- Pour in the vegetable broth and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and let it simmer for 20-25 minutes or until the lentils and vegetables are cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper according to taste.
- Serve hot and enjoy the nourishing benefits of this vegan soup.
Consuming vegetable soup as part of a well-rounded diet can provide certain benefits that may support overall health and recovery during illness, including pneumonia. Vegetable soup is typically low in calories and fat, making it a light and easily digestible source of hydration. It is also rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants from the vegetables used, which can help support the immune system and overall well-being.
The warm temperature of the broth can provide comfort and soothing relief to a sore throat or cough associated with pneumonia.
Protect your newborns from Pneumonia with Ayurveda Preventative Measures:
Prevention is always better than cure. Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of maintaining a strong immune system to ward off infections. Here are some preventive measures from an Ayurvedic perspective:
1. Breastfeeding: Breast milk is considered the best source of nutrition for newborns. It provides essential antibodies that help strengthen their immune system and protect them from infections, including pneumonia.
2. Ayurvedic Immunization: Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of a strong immune system in preventing and managing infections. Ayurvedic practices like breastfeeding, Ayurvedic immunization (Swarna Prashana), and the use of specific herbs and formulations can help boost the immune system in newborns, making them more resilient against respiratory infections.
3. Hygiene Practices: Maintaining proper hygiene is crucial in preventing the spread of infections. Ayurveda suggests regular handwashing, keeping the surroundings clean, and avoiding exposure to pollutants.
4. Avoidance of Cold and Damp Environments: Ayurveda suggests protecting newborns from exposure to cold and damp environments, as they can weaken the respiratory system and make them more susceptible to infections.
5. Massage and Oil Application: Ayurvedic massages and oil application, known as Shishu Abhyanga, can help improve circulation, strengthen the muscles, and promote overall well-being. This can indirectly support the immune system and help prevent respiratory infections.
If your newborn shows symptoms of pneumonia or any other respiratory infection, it is crucial to seek immediate medical attention and follow the guidance of a qualified healthcare professional.
Preventative Mesures for Adults to Combat Pneumonia with Ayurveda:
Ayurveda offers natural remedies and preventive measures to combat respiratory health problems. Ayurvedic principles emphasize maintaining a balance between the body, mind, and environment. Here are some Ayurvedic practices that can help improve respiratory health and reduce air pollution:
1. Daily Detoxification:
Ayurveda recommends regular detoxification of the body to eliminate toxins and strengthen the respiratory system. Practising deep breathing exercises, or pranayama helps clear the airways and improve lung capacity.
2. Herbal Remedies:
Ayurvedic herbs such as Tulsi (Holy Basil), Pippali (Long Pepper), and Yashtimadhu (Licorice) have proven beneficial effects on respiratory health. These herbs possess anti-inflammatory and expectorant properties, helping to clear congestion and reduce inflammation in the respiratory tract.
3. Ayurvedic Diet:
Consuming a balanced diet that includes fresh fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and spices can strengthen the immune system and enhance respiratory health. Avoiding processed and fried foods, dairy products, and excessive sugar intake can help reduce mucus production and inflammation in the respiratory system.
4. Environmental Consciousness:
Air pollution has become a global concern, with its detrimental effects on human health being widely acknowledged. Poor air quality not only affects our respiratory system but also contributes to the development of various respiratory health problems, including pneumonia.
Air pollution, caused by the release of harmful pollutants into the atmosphere, has a direct impact on our respiratory system. The presence of particulate matter, toxic gases, and other pollutants in the air can lead to the development of respiratory health problems such as asthma, bronchitis, and even pneumonia. The tiny particles present in polluted air can easily penetrate our lungs, causing inflammation, irritation, and long-term damage.
Ayurveda emphasizes the importance of maintaining a harmonious relationship with nature. By adopting eco-friendly practices such as reducing vehicle emissions, minimizing the use of chemical-based products, and planting more trees, we can contribute to reducing air pollution and improving air quality.
Let’s take a step towards a cleaner and healthier future by embracing Ayurveda and working together to combat air pollution.
If you or your loved ones are seeking Ayurvedic solutions for pneumonia or any other health concerns, Ayushakti Ayurved is here to help. With their team of experienced Ayurvedic doctors and therapists, they offer personalised treatments and guidance to restore your health naturally. Book your appointment and get on board on your journey towards holistic well-being.
For powerful health transformation stories, subscribe to the Ayushakti YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AyushaktiTV
For regular health tips & updates visit Ayushakti’s Social Media Pages:
- Facebook – Ayushakti Ayurved | Facebook
- Instagram – Ayushakti Ayurved (@ayushakti) • Instagram photos and videos
- Pinterest – ayushaktiayurveda – Profile | Pinterest
Get all the updates about Ayushakti Ayurved on WhatsApp directly. Click here to Join our WhatsApp Channel
Ayushakti’s mission is to help people in every way possible. Our Ayurvedic experts are available to give you a consultation either over the phone or through a video consultation. We recommend customised diets, home remedies, and detox therapies to help you find long-term relief from health problems. Book your consultation here: https://bit.ly/3ZroV31
If you would like to know the location or visit one of our centres, please click here: https://www.ayushakti.com/home/p/contact
For more information, write to us at email@example.com. You can contact us on our toll-free numbers – 18002663001 (India) & +18002800906 (Global).
Blog Author: Dr Rajeshree Mehta
Expert Review: Dr Smita Pankaj Naram
Co-Founder, Ayushakti Ayurved Pvt Ltd
Disclaimer: This blog is for educational purposes only. Please consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before trying or consuming any medicines, home remedies or treatments mentioned in this blog. The information provided is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.